Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Friday, March 16, 2018

When They Came, Book 2

***WARNING: May contain spoilers from Book One.***

When They Saw by Kody Boye continues to follow Ana Mia through her personal experiences after years of living in a post-apocalypse. While I enjoy the story of the conflict between humans and the Grays, I didn't enjoy this installment as much as the first. I found a few characters annoying to the point of distraction, but, in fairness to the author, Boye creates very believable human reactions. He also does a good job highlighting the daily struggle to maintain any kind of relationship when everyone is suffering from some form of PTSD (and the psychological trauma is very well-written).

I'm sick to death of Asha asking Ana Mia if she is okay. I think it's safe to say that Ana Mia isn't even in the same zip code as okay. I'm starting to feel like Asha is a drain on the main character, not a source of strength. After everything Ana Mia has been through, I am struggling to understand why she takes so much crap from Dubois...I nearly lost my mind over the punch to the face. At this point, I'd welcome the POV of anyone else...it's exhausting to be in Ana Mia's head.

With all that said, I'm excited to read the third book. I'm hoping the mystery behind the Reapers will be revealed. I'd like to know more about the different alien species, period. There is a fascinating sociological aspect to Boye's alien trilogy which drives the ongoing horror deeper into the mind.


There's a dark part of me wanting Asha to get killed off. I think Mary-Anne would make a better companion for Ana Mia. Even with her revelation about her former illness, Mary-Anne just seems stronger in spirit than Asha. I loved the character in the first book, but I'm not seeing much emotional growth in Asha and I think that's what is eating at me.

I have to give Kody Boye extra credit for writing a character in such a way, the girl annoys me, even after I put the book down.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment