Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Move Aside, Cujo

THE SUN DOG by Stephen King (originally published in FOUR PAST MIDNIGHT) has all the elements which made me fall in love with the horror genre as a kid, as well as make me a fan of the author's older work: a supernatural entity, terrifying suspense, and characters trapped in a deadly situation.

In this case, King offers up a demonic Polaroid camera featuring a malevolent dog, given to a kid who begins dreaming of the world within the photos, while a rotten old man complicates everything with his greed. Luckily (and contrary to most horror scenarios), Kevin's dad believes what his son tells him, and endeavors to help him rectify the nightmare brought about by the cursed birthday gift.

Not only did I read this story in one sitting, but my teen tried to talk to me at one point, causing me to jump about a foot off the couch because King's story had me so wound up. The ending is what you would expect from the legend, and I recommend this one to all horror fans.

However, after reading this one, I'd ask you to check out all the great indie authors featured here at the Lair...the might not have King's notoriety, but many of them could give the old master a run for his money.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment