Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

A New Metal Monster

MILE 81 by Stephen King is a novella I haven't read before, and I must admit, I have been reluctant to read anything King has written after THE GIRL WHO LOVED TOM GORDON. I am so glad I gave this story a chance because this is one of my new King favorites.

King appears to have channeled several of his older stories for this one: Christine, Trucks and The Raft. Even with all the horror elements, this is more or less Pete Simmons' coming-of-age story. All he wants is a cool adventure to share with his older brother and his bicycle gang, but he soon finds himself in a supernatural battle for survival.

The author torments readers further by including a horse as well as three children...kids and a defenseless animal? Nothing scares the crap out of me more than placing innocent lives within the grasp of a monster. I really wish King would stick with this style of storytelling.

As much as I enjoy the rest area nightmare, my favorite King story is still THE EYES OF THE DRAGON, and I highly recommend both to all readers.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment