Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, October 16, 2021

Interview Week | Kody Boye | Horror Author | AstraDaemon

Kody Boye, author of THE MONSTERS WITHIN, is another returning visitor to the Lair...



What was your first experience with the horror genre, and did that influence you as an author in anyway?


My first experience with the horror genre was watching Jaws when I was far too young (I believe I was about six or seven when I first saw it.) It was an undeniable influence on me, and still is. The raw fear, and creeping terror, that you feel when watching that film is something I feel all horror writers should reach for, no matter their subgenre.

Why do you think the horror is so popular in both literature and films?

I feel like horror is popular because we can experience scary things ‘safely’ (in the sense that we don’t have to worry about an immediate danger.)

What do you think of the alternative sources of horror, such as Reddit’s No Sleep stories?

I love all sorts of horror. Reddit’s No Sleep stories, and Creepypastas, are especially fun to stumble upon, or even hear narrated by someone with a good delivery.

What kind of horror do you prefer for your own entertainment?

I go for all sorts of things. I love aliens, zombies, vampires, apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic stories. So long as it has a human element, I feel like any horror trope, or genre, or monster, can be effective.

What is your favorite kind of horror monster and why?

My favorite kind of horror “monster” tends to be the body snatcher (most specifically: demon possession.) I’ve always been fascinated with religious horror, and demons/the Devil are no different. I feel like the complete seizure of one’s person in body, mind, and, in some instances, soul, is probably the scariest thing of all.

Do you do anything special for Halloween?

I generally watch horror movies throughout the month, so I really don’t do anything different on Halloween. I miss the trick-or-treaters, though.

Name one of your horror stories you think fans should read.


If I were to recommend any of my horror-themed work, I would recommend my novel The Monsters Within. It draws upon many of my personal fears, which include “the unseen threat,” body horror, insanity, and hereditary curses. I’ve made it permafree due to it not performing well as a standalone, which gives readers the chance to try my work without commitment.



Special thanks to Kody Boye for another great chat! I'm looking forward to his new series, THE PLAGUE BLOOM, as well as the third book in the DAGANA trilogy, so check back before the end of the year to catch those reviews.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment