Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Monday, October 11, 2021

Interview Week | Armand Rosamilia | Horror Author | AstraDaemon

This week I'll be interviewing horror authors for their take on the genre...some are well-known names, others will be making their first appearance in the Lair. Today, we begin with Armand Rosamilia, author of the recently released TRAPPED.


What was your first experience with the horror genre, and did that influence you as an author in anyway?


I imagine indirectly. I never really thought about it, but as a teenager I read a ton of Dean Koontz books, watched every 80’s horror movie I could find, and read a lot of horror comic books. That was my enlightenment in horror.

Why do you think the horror is so popular in both literature and films?

Horror is an emotion, first and foremost. No other emotion has their own genre. You know about romance, but they don’t call it lust or love. Yearning. Something cheesy like that. Anyhoo… it is emotional, and it helps us to cope with the world around us. When the pandemic reared its ugly head, people ran to horror movies and books. Especially ones about a pandemic. It helps us to figure things out, and the crazier the world is around us, the more horror we’ll read and watch.

What do you think of the alternative sources of horror, such as Reddit’s No Sleep stories?

I think any way for people to read, write and/or hear horror is a good thing. With so much technology today, it is quite easy to find some good horror to enjoy. To make you feel something. As a kid, I had books if I could find them, or had to wait for a movie to be released in the theater or later on cable. Today? I can read, watch and listen to whatever I want. And so can you.

What kind of horror do you prefer for your own entertainment?

I don’t really watch horror movies anymore. Haven’t in many years. I am a huge fan of quiet horror in literature. Not a fan of the slasher, serial killer madman stories with a lot of blood and guts and spilled intestines. I like horror that sneaks up on you, makes you think. Makes you believe it could really happen to you or someone you love.

What is your favorite kind of horror monster and why?

Humans. They are scarier than anything with fangs, demonic powers or claws. The human race is an awful monster, and when a person is the focus of a horror story… just sickening. But in a good way. Right?

Do you do anything special for Halloween?

My wife and I set up a table in our driveway, and we give out bags of candy as well as children’s Halloween books and comic books to the kids coming by. We live in a very large development, and people drive their kids in each year, so we’ll give out over 200 bags of candy. I have two Little Free Libraries on my property, and it gives the adults and children a chance to also grab a good book from there, too.


Name one of your horror stories you think fans should read.


Uh… all of them? One of my absolute favorites has to be one of the books I co-wrote with author Jay Wilburn: The Enemy Held Near. It’s a ghost story, a family struggle, and lots of fun twists in it. Then… go read all of the rest of my stories, too.

Thanks for the great interview!






Special thanks to Armand Rosamilia for taking time out of his busy schedule.

Check back for more interviews!

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment