Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Interview Week | Bowie V. Ibarra | Horror Author | AstraDaemon

Today, Bowie V. Ibarra, author of THE LEGEND OF ST. UVALDE, stops by the Lair...

What was your first experience with the horror genre, and did that influence you as an author in any way?


I distinctly remember the trauma of watching Friday the13th at my neighbors house when I was around 6. The ax to the face scene totally messed me up. Watching ‘The Funhouse’ at my aunt’s house in my cousins room at around the same age was traumatizing, too. Still, it did create a fascination for horror movies that I dug into when I got older and was able to understand what was going on.

Why do you think the horror is so popular in both literature and films?

Because we’re all sick and twisted and need psychological help. But seriously, it's exciting to be scared. As an armchair psychologist, there’s a certain thrill making it through a horror movie, a feeling of exhilaration having placed yourself vicariously as the protagonist and making it to the end. Of course, we were never really in danger. But, we put ourselves there in our mind. It's definitely a fix folks develop.

What do you think of the alternative sources of horror, such as Reddit’s No Sleep stories?

Any venue that allows folks to be creative and express themselves through any artistic medium, I support. It’s incredibly beneficial for mental health to be able to express our feelings and products of our imagination through any art form.

What kind of horror do you prefer for your own entertainment?

I’m open to all horror, but I have always had an affinity for classic Romero/Fulci style zombie horror. The major 80s slashers are great, and also happen to be looked upon as great examples of female empowerment. I have personally written a supernatural horror story with “Alamo Rising”, 80s style creature horror with the popular “Big Cat”, as well as zombie horror titles which are the foundation of my writing career. I recently regained the rights to the ‘Down the Road’ zombie horror series. A re-release of the popular underground zombie horror series should be out in 2021, so keep an eye out for that.

What is your favorite kind of horror monster and why?

Its Romero/Fulci-style zombies all the way.

Do you do anything special for Halloween?

You would think I would, but I do not. Best I might do is dip into my horror movie library throughout the month.

Name one of your horror stories you think fans should read.

Truth is, it would depend of what they were in to.

If they’re into traditional Romero-style zombie horror, the Down the Road series would be best to check out.

If they like a zombie horror story with some depth and a lucha libre theme, then “Sword of the Angel” is a story they will love.

If folks are in to violent criminal atrocities with extreme zombie brutality, “The Texas Assassins” is an incredible story filled with some of the most disturbing passages of violence committed to the page.

If they like ghosts and supernatural horror in the tradition of ‘The Fog’ or “The Beyond”, “Alamo Rising” is a must.

If they like the 80s horror style like ‘Jaws’, ‘Alligator’, ‘Grizzly’, then they would love “Big Cat”, one of the most popular of my books, and a loving tribute to 80s horror.

If they like ‘Twilight Zone’, ‘Creepshow’, or other anthology-style horror stories, then they need to pick up “Asylum of Terror” today. Filled with short stories by some of the most talented underground writers, it’s a must-have.

As I look at this list, its clear the ax to the face of that lady really planted the seed of inspiration for the horror stories I write.



Special thanks to Bowie V. Ibarra for stopping by on such short notice. Come back tomorrow for another visitor!

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment