Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, October 17, 2021

Interview Week | Scott Donnelly | Horror Author | AstraDaemon

The last interview of the week brings Scott Donnelly into the Lair. Making his debut with THE WHOOL in 2020, the author is now crossing over from literature to film... 



What was your first experience with the horror genre, and did that influence you as an author in anyway?


I read “And Then There Were None” by Agatha Christie in middle school and was hooked on the murder mystery. “Scream” had come out only a year earlier and I knew that was supposed to be quite a mystery as well, mixed with horror elements. So after I watched it, I had found my new obsession. The whodunnits paced the way for my love of Jason and Michael, and eventually branched out into every corner horror has to offer. I love to incorporate lots of mystery and dread in my stories. I love to build tension and have the reader question everything and everyone within the story. I get a thrill out of messing with the reader.

Why do you think the horror is so popular in both literature and films?

I think horror is so popular because fear is something everyone has in common. Everyone is afraid of something, even if they won’t admit it. Horror films and literature have a way of tapping into those fears and getting your heart racing. And that itself is a thrill.

What do you think of the alternative sources of horror, such as Reddit’s No Sleep stories?

I love the alternative sources. I love a good Creepypastas story, especially when it deals with the fear of something unknown. Those are the most powerful when they’re done correctly. I think a good chunk of the future horror classics will have origins in the Creepypastas or No Sleep realm.

What kind of horror do you prefer for your own entertainment?

I love slasher films. They’re my favorite sub-genre of horror. The old Friday the 13th and Halloween films are like comfort food to me. Toss in the whodunnit aspect with a shocking twist or reveal at the end, and I’m 100% in on that.

What is your favorite kind of horror monster and why?

Aside from the iconic slasher villains, I love a good giant animal movie. Alligator from the 80s is one of my favorites. Anaconda, Lake Placid…all really fun. I also love monsters that have a sympathetic backstory.

Do you do anything special for Halloween?

Nothing super crazy. I have three kids, so family friendly Halloween movies have become normal. Trick or treating is a must as well. And I try to squeeze in AMC Fear Fest whenever I can.

Name one of your horror stories you think fans should read.


I’ve been proud of quite a few of my horror stories in the last two years. I wrote a slasher thriller called Cheater, Cheater back in 2019 and just re-released it with a new ending this summer. It is also currently in pre-production as an indie horror film, so that’s better exciting to be a part of that process. Another one would be The Whool, which will be re-released through Raven Tale Publishing very soon under the title The Blood of Burrows. That story had gathered so much more positive attention than I ever expected it to.



Special thanks to Scott Donnelly for giving us such a big update! I'll be revisiting CHEATER CHEATER next week.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment