Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Thursday, October 14, 2021

Interview Week | Christopher Motz | Horror Author | AstraDaemon

My fourth interview for this week takes place with Christopher Motz, author of WHISTLING IN THE DARK...



What was your first experience with the horror genre, and did that influence you as an author in anyway?

Initially, I had started out with ‘Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark.’ It was a series of child friendly books with quick horror stories that made my young mind wonder if there really were ghosts and strange creatures hiding in the dark. Another favorite of mine was a short book entitled ‘The Haunting Of Grade Three.’ Once I reached the age of 10 or 11, I got my hands on the original ‘Amityville Horror’ book, and whether it’s real or not, it cranked the creepiness up a notch!

I would say that ‘Amityville’ definitely influenced me. For me, it was the blueprint of what a haunted could be.

Why do you think the horror is so popular in both literature and films?

Horror has always been an interesting genre. The main reason I see horror being so popular is that people like to be scared. Reading a novel or watching a movie are safe ways to peek beyond the curtain and witness things you can never see in the real world. It’s fun being scared as long as you can close a book when the chills get to be too much.

What do you think of the alternative sources of horror, such as Reddit’s No Sleep stories?

I’ll be honest, I don’t much follow many alternate sources. I’m a movie buff and have a house packed with novels. I’m not going to run out of material in this lifetime. As for Reddit and other popular Internet sources, I think they cater to a younger audience, and that’s what makes it so important. In a world where so many of us no longer sit down with a good book, it’s refreshing to know that horror is still getting into the hands of those who may not have been interested to seek it out for themselves.

What kind of horror do you prefer for your own entertainment?

This all depends on my mood. There are times I want something where my main concern is how many people are going to be tortured by some crazy madman. Am I in the mood for buckets of blood? Do I want to think about the deeper meaning in a story or just revel in a body count? There are so many facets of horror that there’s something there for everyone.

I generally go down a rabbit hole when I find something that hits all the right buttons. If I’m going to watch some nasty body horror, I’m going to find me a Cronenberg movie. Maybe ‘The Fly.’ Once that ends, I might end up watching 4 or 5 Cronenberg movies just to get my fill of nasty practical effects. The same goes with something like 1922’s ‘Nosferatu.’ It’s not a gore fest, but the atmosphere is absolutely terrifying. This can then lead me to ‘The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari’ or ‘Haxan.’

I could likely speak on this subject for hours, but the main point is that I don’t have any specific horror type. I enjoy them all for different reasons. While I mainly mention only movies, books are the same way for me. As long as the writer or director has put time into their story, and makes me identify in some way with the characters or plot elements, it’s a success. Variety if the spice of life, right?

What is your favorite kind of horror monster and why?

Again, this is something I have a tough time nailing down. Serial killers, werewolves, vampires, demons, evil sewer clowns, aliens, ghosts… where does it end?

If I had to absolutely pick my favorite kind of monster, it would be the guy next door. The woman who bags groceries at the local store. The mailman. The librarian. These are the monsters that blend in… the ones where you don’t immediately have the desire to run as fast as you can and hide under a bed. Humans are hiding in plain sight, and you have no idea which ones are the real monsters.

Ted Bundy? Jeffrey Dahmner? John Wayne Gacy? Pick your poison. A good-looking guy the ladies adore or a chubby dude in a clown outfit? The scariest monsters are the ones you don’t see coming.

Do you do anything special for Halloween?

Almost always a horror film marathon during the month of October. Each year, either my wife or I will decide on a specific topic – franchise films, early Hollywood, all Argento or Fulci, etc. We always go with a theme for the month of October and stick with it. This year happens to be focused on Vincent Price.

We have almost always opened the door to children for Trick or Treat. Maybe we’ll put some awful costume on our little dog? It really is a very fun time of the year for us, but most of what we do depends on busy work schedules and how much time we have together. The film marathon is always a safe and easy bet.

Name one of your horror stories you think fans should read.


In my opinion, I would say ‘Pine Lakes’ and ‘Tenants’ are my two favorite books. I had a lot of fun writing them, and that comes across in the stories. With these, I was able to breathe a bit more and blend genres, which is something I enjoy. It keeps the reader on their toes! I’ve always liked authors who have kept me guessing, and while that kind of story isn’t for everyone, those who like it tend to love it.

While horror is meant to scare you, the ride has to be a fun one, and the reader or viewer needs to feel that they’ve gone on the journey with you. With the two books I mentioned, I think I succeeded in dishing out the scares as well as giving you a much needed laugh now and then.



I picked up a Kindle version of PINE LAKES after this interview...hopefully I'll get to read it before the end of the year, but my TBR list is still several pages long. I have read TENANTS and highly recommend it.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment