Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, March 16, 2019

Escape From The True False World

Years ago, Cady was involved in an accident, one that claimed the life of a young woman, but due to a technicality, he was cleared of any charges against him. Once free, he fled to the other side of the country, hoping to start fresh.

Now, he's on his way to meet his girlfriend's uncle, her only living relative. Nervous doesn't begin to describe how he feels. He's terrified his worst nightmare might come true—that they'll question him about that accident. He'll soon learn there are worse things to be worried about.


First, there are the centipedes…


Second, there's the prison cell…



CHILOPODOPHOBIA by Paul McMahon is a terrifying suspense-thriller, so well-written, I felt like I was suffering the effects of the Pink. (Being cryptic to avoid spoilers.) I'm not even sure if Cady is entitled to any sympathy, having drank a six-pack before getting into a car accident, but I couldn't stop myself from cheering him on. His determination under such terrible circumstances is commendable.

The ending is a little vexing. There are a couple of loose ends, but not as bad as a cliff-hanger. I think maybe I became just a little too attached to Cady. Last but not least, the centipedes made me sick to my stomach.

If you enjoy stories with characters who must overcome physical and mental obstacles in order to survive, you're going to love McMahon's version of an escape room.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment