Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Thursday, February 22, 2018

Dark City, Part 2 of 3

WARNING: I strongly suggest you read my review of the first story, Dark City: Dark Night, before you read this review.

Dark City: Darker Night by Abe Evergreen is the second short story in a dystopian trilogy. The city is overwhelmed by mutating flu viruses, with scientists unable to keep up with the demand for vaccines. Hoarding is a crime, but also a necessity to survival. I really like the way Lamp thinks, but his sister just pisses me off. I couldn't get over her level of denial and how she puts Yima, Lamp's niece, at risk with her stubbornness.

I enjoyed this story even more than the first one. Life in the city has steadily deteriorated since Lamp last ventured out for medicine, and the desperation makes for a very intense situation. I hope the third story reveals what is going on inside Lamp.


There are details which suggest the Dark City flu mutations are taking place in the future, making Evergreen's series a science fiction nightmare with the realistic horror of illness, mass hysteria and the collapse of society. I had no idea I would be sucked in like this when I picked up the first story.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment