Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Sunday, February 4, 2018

Building Character With Characters

Mirror Mirror by E.J. Bennett is a damn creepy story...sad and creepy. A young girl loses her parents in a car accident. As if that isn't traumatizing enough, she has to go live with her aunt, only to be tormented by evil entities dwelling in the attic. I wish a little more had been revealed about her Uncle and his time in the attic, but her struggle to stay alive is intense, to say the least.


I'm loathe to recommend a horror story for a specific age range. When I was in grade school, I was already reading Stephen King. I remember the public librarian asking me if my mother knew I read such books. Probably not, but I had long since outgrown the choose-your-own-adventure books, and the fantasy authors just weren't doing it for me anymore.

Then again, I know some parents have all kinds of reasons for restricting what their children read. Kind of ironic, considering the lyrics of the music many of those same kids are allowed to listen to, or the graphic video games they're plugged into. I end up with mixed feelings...wanting to recommend a story to all horror fans, but not wanting to scar young imaginations.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment