Welcome to the Lair!

Exploring dark alleys. Discovering new nightmares. Revisiting the masters.

Saturday, January 20, 2018

Saturday Short: Shattered

Shattered by Scarlette D'Noire is about a young woman's undying love for her sister. A good portion of the story is devoted to the woman crying over memories of her sister. I think a brief history of the hospital might have made a better hook. I also think the story would've benefited from a more detailed description of the hospital itself. Much of the story read like a rough draft.


Giving a critical review is never easy. I know some "reviewers" delight in tearing apart authors' hard work, and crushing their dreams of a writing career, but reviewers like that usually live under a bridge and eat goats. I, on the other hand, want authors to do their very best, in order to readers a better selection of fiction to choose from, so I try to make suggestions when I can.

I feel like a broken record, but I can't stress enough how important it is to have proper editing. Typos can be forgiven, but a poorly written story can ruin the best plots. I'll never understand why some authors get so defensive over constructive criticism because those butt-kissing reviews from family friends are not going to help improve their writing.

The authors who truly appreciate honesty, for better or worse, are the ones who are most likely to become well-established authors with an ever-growing fan base.

As always,
AstraDaemon

No comments:

Post a Comment